Dating for a single mum is an absolute minefield! I’ve recently been doing a bit of research as to the best steps to take to get myself back on track and it is terrifying me.
I’ve also realised, like most other kiwi girls – we usually don’t date. Relationships seem to just manifest themselves from drunken nights out, all of a sudden realising that the same man seems to be at the same parties most of the time. If you notice he is there for the sixth time, you should change your relationship status on facebook and make noises about moving in together.
So it has got me thinking. What would I do if I could do it all over again, knowing what I know now. I guarantee my life would have taken an entirely different road. Here are my top 10 things I would do if I was 26 again:
1. Cleanse, Tone, Moisturise and Exfoliate RELIGIOUSLY! Only Cher can turn back time.
2. Wear sunscreen – The battles I’ve had with the sun is bordering on ridiculous. I am fair skinned, deal with it. I will never go brown. At 26 despite having 3rd degree burns around my bikini line (very sensitive), I still thought if I continued sunbathing I would eventually look Spanish.
3. Invest disposable income on property instead of bottles of vodka, taxi rides home and petrol station pasties at 3am.
4. Do not seek approval – do my own thing and be strong confident and comfortable doing it.
5. Be patient – I have a whole lifetime of experiences ahead of me; I do not have to do EVERYTHING in one weekend.
6. Choose the guy, don’t let them choose you. I do not have to ‘date’ every guy that pays me attention or buys me the next vodka and cranberry. Be patient and choose wisely.
7. Use my work/job as a place to learn and get ahead instead of an extension of my social life and necessary evil to get through (mostly hungover) until 5pm drinks.
8. Be Mysterious! Oh I so wish I could be mysterious instead of blurting out everything that comes into my mind to anyone who will listen.
9. Respect myself and believe in me.
10. Have a life plan and stick to it.
Now, I know if I had managed to follow these rules, I certainly would not be the person I am today. And although I made some horrendous mistakes, at least it was a colourful past and I now have lots of stories to tell!
What would you do differently?